With all the talk about breastmilk these days, it’s easy to forget that not all moms can breastfeed. For some, it’s simply not possible due to medical reasons. Others may have trouble producing enough milk to meet their baby’s needs. At Columbus Women’s Care, we work routinely with new moms in the Canal Winchester, OH, area struggling with breast milk supply and demand.
What are some of the ways to improve breast milk production and flow to feed my child?
Breastfeeding is the most natural method of feeding your baby for the first year. At Columbus Women’s Care, we support women who are looking to increase breast milk production to reduce dependency on alternatives such as formula. Below are just a few of the recommendations are team may have to help:
- Drink plenty of fluids and eat a balanced diet. This is important for all new mothers, but especially those who are breastfeeding. Be sure to drink plenty of fluids throughout the day, including water, milk, and juice. Eating a balanced diet will also help to improve breast milk production.
- Nurse or pump frequently. Frequent nursing or pumping will help to stimulate breast milk production. It is recommended that you nurse or pump at least every two to three hours.
- Try lactogenic foods and herbs. There are certain foods and herbs that are known to promote breast milk production. These include fenugreek, blessed thistle, anise, and caraway. You can find these herbs in capsule form at your local health food store.
- Get plenty of rest. It is vital to get plenty of rest when you are breastfeeding. Your body needs time to recover and produce milk. Try to get at least six to eight hours of rest each night.
- Practice relaxation techniques. Relaxation techniques can help to improve breast milk production. Try deep breathing, visualization, or massage.
If you’re still struggling to increase your milk supply, consult a lactation consultant or your healthcare provider. They can help you identify any underlying issues and develop a plan to get your supply back on track.
Remember, every mom and baby is different. What works for one may not work for another. But with a little patience and perseverance, you’ll be able to find what works for you and your baby. So hang in there! The team of Columbus Women’s Care can talk to you about further recommendations to improve milk flow and feed your child in the most natural way possible! Call 614-755-4200 for an appointment with our team in Canal Winchester, OH.