What is Gynecology?
What Conditions Are Handled by a Gynecologist?
Many conditions specific to the female reproductive system, can be assessed by a gynecologist. Many common conditions that our providers are able to both assess and help treat include the following:
- Abnormal pap smear
- Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
- Annual breast and pelvic evaluation
- Birth control and family planning
- Breast cancer screening
- Contraception counseling
- Urinary incontinence
- Perimenopause and Menopause
- Management and Treatment of Fibroids
- Heavy or painful periods
- Sexual dysfunction
- Bone density assessment
- Pelvic pain
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- Ovarian Cysts
Yearly pelvic exams and Pap smears are highly recommended as this helps to monitor the function of reproductive organs and overall gynecologic health. During the yearly exam, we screen for infection, inflammation, or other abnormal cells that may indicate disease. Early detection helps to start effective treatment for life threatening diseases such as cervical cancer.
At Columbus Women’s Care, we recommend annual exams for women who are sexually active and/or over the age of 18. During the breast exam, your provider will be checking your breast for any abnormalities or changes. A Pap Smear removes tissue for the cervix for laboratory testing of any abnormalities. An annual exam provides great insight for both the patient and the provider in monitoring and maintaining optimal pelvic health. If you experience any of the following symptoms, we recommend scheduling your appointment to meet with one of our providers.
- Abnormal uterine bleeding.
- Abnormal vaginal discharge (discolored or odorous).
- Unusual or severe pain with your period.
- Unusual or severe pelvic, vaginal, or abdominal pain.
- Breast symptoms such as thickening, dimpling, or puckering of the skin.
- Sores, lumps, or itching on the external vulva or at the vaginal opening.
Contraception Counseling and Procedures
- Diagnosis of type of urinary incontinence
- Treatment of incontinence
- Referral for urinary dynamics testing
Infertility evaluation, testing and treatment
GYN Surgery and Procedures
Minimally invasive surgery
- Hormone replacement
- Treatment of atrophic vaginitis
- Diagnostic Ultrasound
- Sonohystogram (in-office)