At Columbus Women’s Care our Gynecologists will discuss all forms of contraception methods during your visit.
Types of Contraceptive Methods
- Oral Contraceptives
- Vaginal Ring
- The Intrauterine Device (IUD)
Advantages of Birth Control
There are many advantages to birth control. These include:
- Pregnancy prevention
- Decrease menstrual bleeding
- Minimize menstrual cramps
What Birth Control Methods Are the Most Effective?
IUDs, Subdermal Implants, and Surgical Tubal Sterilization are some of the most effective birth control methods.
- Laparoscopic tubal ligation – Laparoscopic tubal ligation is a surgical sterilization procedure in which we surgically block, seal or remove a woman’s fallopian tubes. Both methods prevent the fertilization of eggs. Tubal ligation is a permanent method of birth control.
- Nexplanon – The implant is a very small rod, about the size of a matchstick that we insert under the skin of a woman’s upper arm to provide birth control. It releases hormones just as the pill does, however it prevents pregnancy for up to 3 years. If you decide to get pregnant, you simply have it removed. It has a 99% effectiveness rating.
- Essure – Essure is a sterilization procedure that is permanent and non-reversible. We place a coil that induces fibrosis and blocks the fallopian tubes into each fallopian tube to prevent fertilization.
What Are IUDs?
How Do IUDs Work?
Types of IUDs
At Columbus Womne’s Care, we offer both hormonal and non-hormonal IUDs. These include:
- Mirena – Mirena® is a hormone-releasing IUD that is over 99% effective at preventing pregnancy for as long as you want, for up to 5 years. Mirena can be used whether or not you have had a child. It also treats heavy periods in women who choose intrauterine contraception.
- Liletta – LILETTA® (levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system) 52 mg is a hormone-releasing system placed in your uterus to prevent pregnancy for as long as you want for up to 4 years.
- Paragard – PARAGARD is an intrauterine copper contraceptive device that is placed in your uterus to prevent pregnancy for up to 10 years. This is the non-hormonal IUD.