One of the best ways to ensure a healthy birth is to have a healthy pregnancy. With routine evaluations and regular prenatal care appointments, women can significantly increase their chances of enjoying a healthy pregnancy and a healthy child! Even before a woman becomes pregnant, there are steps she can take to ensure the process is smooth and reliable.
What is prenatal care?
At Columbus Women’s Care in Canal Winchester, Ohio, our team describes prenatal care as the steps taken before and during pregnancy to improve the chances of a healthy pregnancy and child. Prenatal care extends beyond just visiting the obstetrician on a regular basis during pregnancy. Prenatal care that occurs before getting pregnant may include:
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Avoiding smoking, drug use, and alcohol
- Taking the right nutrients and minerals
- Addressing mental health issues including anxiety and depression
- Learning about one’s family history to determine genetic conditions
- Controlling diabetes and other medical conditions that may affect pregnancy
- Ensuring immunizations are up-to-date
After conception, prenatal care may also include:
- Maintaining a safe diet and exercise plan to reduce the risk of pregnancy complications
- Avoiding harmful substances during pregnancy that can impact the child
- Controlling existing medical conditions including high blood pressure and diabetes
- Reducing the fetal risk of complications by abstaining from alcohol, drugs, and smoking
- Maintaining proper nutrient levels by taking prenatal vitamins throughout pregnancy
- Evaluating medications to ensure they are safe for pregnant women
- Visiting the doctor routinely for screenings and evaluations to ensure the health of the child in utero
Discuss your needs with the team at Columbus Women’s Care
Women in the Canal Winchester, Ohio community and beyond who are interested in learning more about the benefits of prenatal care are encouraged to schedule a consultation visit with our team at Columbus Women’s Care. We are dedicated to ensuring women have the care necessary during this important time in their life to protect them and their baby from common developmental concerns. If you are ready to speak to a professional, contact our office at (614) 755-4200 to book a visit. We are located at 7901 Diley Road, Suite #205/260 and accept new and established patients into our facility for the best possible care!