At Columbus Women’s Care, our practice is focused on providing comprehensive reproductive care for women in the area of Canal Winchester, OH. When women want to ask their provider about birth control options, it can be overwhelming how many choices are available on the market today. Our doctors work with patients to assist them in choosing a contraceptive that works with their lifestyles.
Below are a few things to consider when choosing a birth control option for yourself:
- Effectiveness. Some methods of birth control are more effective than others. Others have a risk of being used in correctly which can make them a less effective option than one that eliminates improper use. Consider this first when choosing a contraceptive.
- Ability to reverse the birth control. Many women want to utilize birth control for a specific period of time to avoid pregnancy, while others are no longer interested in birthing children and want a permanent option. Women should think about the length of time the contraception works and if it can be reversed later on.
- Tolerable side effects. Hormone-based contraceptives are known to cause some women side effects such as spotting between periods, weight gain, cramping, and breast tenderness. It’s important to think about the side affects you can tolerate versus those you cannot.
- Lifestyle. Birth control methods must be used as directed for them to be as effective as possible. If you are someone who is forgetful, a daily pill may not be the best option for you. Smoking may rule out hormonal contraceptives because of the increased risk of heart disease and blood clots.
- Health conditions. If you have any current health conditions that may affect the use of a hormonal contraceptive o other medication-based birth control, it is important to relay this information to your doctor to avoid complications that can arise between contraceptives and current health conditions.
Call our practice today
Learn more about the different contraceptives available for women by scheduling an appointment at Columbus Women’s Care at (614) 755-4200. Our team, located at 7901 Diley Road, Suite 205/260 can assist in educating patients about their options to ensure they choose the one right for their unique desires and lifestyle.