Women who are sexually active and are considering birth control options to prevent pregnancy will want to work with a professional in their community that can walk them through all the solutions available today. At Columbus Women’s Care, women in the Canal Winchester, OH area interested in protecting themselves from getting pregnancy will want to learn about the right contraceptive for their needs.
How do I choose the birth control right for me?
There are so many options available to women today in terms of contraceptives. Women will need to choose contraception that best fits their needs, lifestyle, and long-term goals. Women should take the time to develop a list of questions they want to have readily available when they speak to a doctor to determine which birth control is best. Many factors to consider include:
• Do you want children in the future?
• What side effects would be tolerable for you?
• Do you have any health conditions that may impact your form of birth control?
• How often are you sexually active?
• How many sexual partners do you have?
• Do you want to protect against STDS and HIV?
• Are you going to be consistent with use?
• Do you want a long-term solution that is reversible?
Depending on the way you answer these questions, the providers at Columbus Women’s Care will provide a range of birth control options for your consideration. These options may include:
• IUD (intrauterine device) with or without hormones, lasts 5-10 years
• Birth control implant that lasts approximately three years
• Birth control patch, changed weekly
• Birth control shot, lasts three months
• Birth control ring, replaced monthly
• Birth control pills, taken daily for maximum effectiveness
• Emergency contraceptives used after forgetting birth control
• Natural family planning options (FAM)
Birth controls used at the time of intercourse:
• Male and female condoms
• Cervical caps/diaphragm
• Birth control sponge
Patients seeking permanent contraception may consider sterilization, either a vasectomy (for a man) or tubal ligation (for a woman). These are best used for patients who are done having children or do not want to have children at all during their reproductive years.
Are you in a sexual relationship and are considering contraception?
Now is the time to connect with the doctors at Columbus Women’s Care in Canal Winchester, OH to speak to a professional about your contraceptive needs. Our practice can be reached by calling (614) 755-4200 and is located at 7901 Diley Road, Suite 205/260.